Representative and Regional Office are not a corporation that you incorporate, but a mere office set up to represent the head foreign corporation or organisation.
- The establishment does not require incorporation under the Companies Act.
- They are established by making the application with the Malaysian Investment Development Authority (MIDA).
- They are established to perform permissible activities on behalf of the parent and represent it.
- Representative Office collects information on investment opportunities in the country, enhance bilateral trade relations, promote export of Malaysian goods and services and carry out research and development.
- Regional Office serves as regional coordination centre and is responsible for the designated activities within the region it operates.
- They cannot undertake any commercial activities and only represents their head office or principal to undertake designated functions.
- It is completely funded from sources outside Malaysia.
Duration of Establishment
- Company and other institution – Minimum 2 years depending on the merits of each case.
- Government and Trade Association – Duration is based on applicant’s requirement.
|ACTIVITIES ALLOWED||ACTIVITIES NOT ALLOWED|
|Conducting research or gathering intelligence on investment and business opportunities in Malaysia and the region.||engaged in trading, business or commercial activity.|
|Planning or coordinating business activities.||Lease warehousing facilities.|
|Identifying sources of raw materials, components or other products.||Sign business contract on behalf of the foreign corporation or provide services for a fee.|
|Undertake research or product development.||Participate in the daily management of any of its subsidiaries, affiliates or branches in Malaysia.|
|Act as a coordination centre for the corporation's affiliates, subsidiaries or agents in the region.|
Our Representative & Regional Office packages are;